08 June 2023

The three root misconceptions are attraction, aversion and indifference and these create the experience of dissatisfaction - Illusory Advice

 

The three root misconceptions are attraction, aversion and indifference and these create the experience of dissatisfaction (or suffering). It is addiction to assessing all experience on the basis of these three that leads to the creation of reference points, and to grasping for solidity, permanence, individuality, continuity and definition. People live by: ‘I like it, I don't like it, or I don't care about it ' or: 'give me more of that because it supports my view of myself in some way; keep that away from me because it threatens my view; or I don't care about that because it neither supports or threatens my view.'

These three can be understood as inseparable, because the mindset that has attraction will inevitably have aversion and indifference as well. If there is a reference point for what is attractive this also becomes a reference point for what will create aversion and indifference -- and so on.

page 106, Illusory Advice, Ngakma Nor’dzin & Ngakpa ’ö-Dzin, Aro Books Worldwide, 2016, ISBN: 978-1-898185-37-6


 

No comments:

Post a Comment