23 September 2021

Having an opinion is not a problem. - Spacious Passion

 

I like science fiction. I think science fiction is entertaining and can open my mind to new ways of looking at things. I enjoy books and films about science fiction. I watch science fiction movies and usually enjoy them, which strengthens my liking for science fiction. My neighbour hates science fiction. He thinks it is a complete waste of time. He thinks that the story lines are usually far-fetched, a traditional story in an alien setting, or just an excuse for techno-babble dialogue and fancy special effects. He occasionally watches a science fiction movie and they confirm his negative opinion of science fiction. There is actually no problem with this situation. 

Having an opinion is not a problem. Having a different opinion to my neighbour is not a problem – unless we feel threatened by our differing opinions. My neighbour can enjoy my appreciation of science fiction and retain his feeling of not being keen on it. I can enjoy my appreciation of science fiction and see that his opinion of it is sometimes true without this spoiling my enjoyment. Problems arise because we tend to regard our opinions as fact, rather than remembering that they are the result of our subjective experience.

Spacious Passion, Ngakma Nor‘dzin, Aro books worldwide, 2006, ISBN 978-0-9653948-4-0, chapter 6 Quelling the storm, p142


 

No comments:

Post a Comment